Emmanuel Episcopal Church of Sheepshead Bay, formerly St. Matthias Chapel, was organized in 1895. The Sheepshead Bay section of Brooklyn was once the /a place of farms and race tracks. Many of the workers employed by the race track owners were West Indians who embraced the Anglican faith. They worshiped at Emmanuel Church making it the first racially integrated congregation in Brooklyn.
Although the farms and the race tracks have disappeared from Sheepshead Bay, Emmanuel remains in existence as a mission of the Diocese of Long Island until 1999 when it attained Parish status ?The Little Church in the Bay? is still serving the needs of the people in the community and beyond regardless of race or ethnic background.
In 2007 our Parish Hall, which was the venue for many of our outreach non denominational programs, was destroyed by fire. As a result, we were forced to temporarily discontinue many of our programs. We provide space for the following community groups:
Messiah Reformed Christian Congregation
Paper Moon Players Theater Group
Our three story building is almost completed. At its completion we will have adequate space to add a Day Care and an After School to our list of programs.
Construction is at a standstill at the moment because we do not have the needed funds to complete the project. We are therefore, politely asking for your financial assistance so we can finish the building and continue our Ministry in the Sheepshead Bay section of God?s Dominion in the sea.